Sunday, October 21, 2012

A tale of OG Gamers Blog 2: Flavours of Chaos and plans for month 1

It's been almost a week since my last post, and the Tale of OG Gamers has been occupying a lot of my thoughts. I have been deciding upon a theme for my Chaos Marines, and subsequently have been considering what parts and kits I'll use to make a pretty unique army.

Army Flavour

Last week, I wrote a blog outlining my choice of army for the tale of OG Gamers. Not only did this include which God(s) to go for, but also legions.

In the end, the choice for me came down to World Eaters and Death Guard. Whilst I love the background for both, they are characterful and well supported with conversion options and Forgeworld pieces. I've decided though to begin with World Eaters for the following reasons:

1) On and off I've been thinking of doing some sort of World Eaters army since reading Battle for the Abyss several years ago. Whether this would be pre or post Heresy I was unsure, but here is a great chance to make either happen;

2) The Tale of Gamers has a number of Chaos players in. Hardly surprising, given they are a new codex and have a cult following. Whilst there are a range of legions and Gods being chosen, Khorne and the World Eaters were one of the ones not done by another player;

3) Slow moving, hard to kill units in the Death Guard theme seems a bit too similar to my Deathwing Army. World Eaters will require a completely different style of play;

4) Chaos Marines IMO should be getting up in their opponents faces and taking skulls; and finally


5) I get the chance to have Shatner style Chaos tourettes (KKKHHHAAAANNNN!!!!)

Month 1 Target

The month 1 target for my 250pts is:

- Kharn the Betrayer (160pts);
- 20 Chaos Cultists with no toys (90pts)

My 'before' picture for month 1 is:


You may have noticed that Kharn is missing from the picture. I've ordered model to lead the army, but GW have none left in stock. This means I'll have to wait an extra week or two whilst I wait for some more to be cast and sent over. In the mean time I'll concentrate on the cultists. I'm also thinking about an alternative 160pts should it take too long to receive a model. I picked up an Aegis Defence line in Croydon today, so could convert and paint this if necessary. I've also obtain some Khorne and Chaos bits, so this should be a fun kit to convert and offer up to the Blood God as an alternative.

At this point, I'd also like to take the opportunity to big up Dragon Forge Design's bases. I bought some of their 'Lost Empire' bases 18 months ago for some Dark Eldar I was painting up at the time and was really impressed. Decent enough delivery time (2-3 weeks) given they're often made to order and sent from the U.S., good quality castings and designs. The main reason that I was drawn to them however, was the range of quality designs that don't take over the model. Some scenic base companies make some really great looking bases, but they are so big the detail goes well over the base and often makes the model too tall.

I ordered some of their 'Desecrated Lands' bases for the Chaos Dark Vengeance Miniatures I've bought and these arrived during the week. They're suitably chaos-y, looking like the floor of some sort of Dark Temple. Fortunately the skulls fit the theme of a Khorne army. I've decided to go with these for my Tale of Gamers army, and have put in a second order to the building for the majority of my list.

Progress

Anyway, as I write this, despite my best in planning well ahead of time things have not started as smoothly as I'd hoped for this month:

1) It is currently pi$$ing it down with rain outside. I was hoping to get a number of models spray undercoated today ready for some painting on Monday and Tuesday evening this week;

2) The afforementioned wait for Kharn; and

3) On a more minor note, there was a couple of pieces missing from a set of cultists I'd purchased from eBay. Fortunately, the vendor has been really good about this and I should have a replacements by the middle of the week.

Anyways, I'm looking to make weekly updates, so keep your eyes peeled for next weekend's installment!

Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment